According to the Fire Brigade officials, the blaze started on the 4th floor of railway officers' quarters building behind Maratha Mandir theatre opposite Mumbai Central railway station.

They said the short circuit in one of the duct wires of the building caused the fire.

"We got a call around noon about the fire in the residential building. After reaching the spot, we rescued 65 people from the building. Fortunately, there were no casualties in the incident," the official said adding that the entire fire-fighting operation lasted for over three hours.

Eight fire engines, six water tankers and four ambulances were deployed at the spot for rescue operations.     

The injured were admitted to Nair and Jagjivandas hospitals in the vicinity.
"There was lot of smoke emanating from the floor where the fire broke out. This caused panic among the people living there which made evacuation process a little difficult initially. But being a working day, most people were away at work, which made things easier," the official added.

Latest News from State News Desk