Mumbai: Mumbai on Saturday paid solemn tributes to the victims and martyrs of the 26/11 terror attack on its third anniversary as India lamented lack of "decisive" action by Pakistan against the plotters despite evidence provided by it to prosecute them.

READ MORE:26/11: Survivors await Kasab's execution

There was no uncontrolled outburst of emotions, no photographs of martyred policemen peering down from massive hoardings in bustling streets and no smart parade by the anti-terror force as a sense of deja vu marked the remembrance events.
   
Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, his cabinet colleagues and top government functionaries paid homage to the men in uniform who gallantly laid down their lives in the line of duty and others felled by the 10 Pakistani terrorists.
   
Wreaths were placed at the Police Memorial and a minute's silence observed in the memory of the 18 security personnel, including ATS chief Hemant Karkare, who made the supreme sacrifice during the three-day siege.
   
Karkare's widow Kavita, Vaishali Omble, daughter of Tukaram Omble, the policemen who resolutely took the bullets in his chest but did not allow terrorist Ajmal Kasab to escape, and Smita Salaskar, widow of Vijay Salaskar, encounter specialist who was killed with Hemant Karkare, were present.
   
As Mumbaikars engaged in solemn remembrance, India voiced its displeasure with Pakistan over the delay in bringing the plotters of the attack to justice.
   
"We are still waiting for Pakistan to act decisively to bring to justice the perpetrators of the mindless violence that was unleashed on Mumbai. We are still waiting," External Affairs Minister S M Krishna told reporters in Delhi.  Krishna also said that the use of terrorism as an instrument of state policy had no place in today's world and is self-destructive.
   
He deplored that despite the evidence given by the Home Ministry to Pakistan which he said was sufficient for "any normal court" to prosecute the accused, no decisive action had been taken.
   
"I think the evidence provided by the Ministry of Home Affairs would be sufficient for any normal civilian court to prosecute the people involved in the conspiracy and the perpetrators of this crime," Krishna said.   

"I once again call on our neighbour to bring the perpetrators of the crime to speedy justice," he said.  

As Mumbai got immersed in silent prayers, Ajmal Kasab, the only living terrorist of 26/11 attack, sentenced to death for the massacre, had no sense of the day, having lost the track of time with no access to newspapers and hardly any conversation with the securitymen guarding him.
   
"His day began like any other day. He had a breakfast of banana, milk and Poha (puffed rice flakes with potatoes) this morning and lunch in the afternoon. Going by his mental status, we do not think we should talk to him or inform him about the third anniversary (of the attack)," an official at the Arthur Road jail said.
   
"Our priority is to protect Kasab in the jail. Going by the serious nature of their job, why should any security personnel closely guarding him strike a conversation with him on the attacks or anniversary?" he asked.

Bring 26/11 perpetrators to speedy justice: Krishna

External Affairs Minister SM Krishna on Saturday called upon Pakistan to bring the perpetrators of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack to 'speedy' justice.'I once again call upon Pakistan to bring perpetrators and conspirators of this crime to speedy justice,' Krishna said on the third anniversary of the audacious attacks by Pakistani terrorists in 2008 in which 166 people were killed. 

India is still waiting for Pakistan to 'act decisively', he added.

'Issues have to be resolved through a peaceful dialogue,' Krishna said.

Ajmal Amir Kasab was the only one of the 10 Pakistani terrorists who attacked Mumbai Nov 26, 2008 to be caught alive. They attacked at prominent locations in the city.

Kasab has been found guilty of killing at least 59 people in the carnage. He has been charged with murder and waging war against the Indian state amongst other crimes.

He was sentenced to death May 6, 2010 by special judge M.L. Tahaliyani. He then appealed to the Bombay High Court, which Feb 21, 2011 upheld the death penalty following which he appealed in the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court Oct 10 this year stayed the execution of the death sentence. It directed completion of pleading by Nov 30 and that the appeal be listed for final hearing Jan 31, 2012.

(JPN/ Agencies)