Islamabad: Former Pakistani military ruler Pervez Musharraf, one of main accused in the assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto in 2007, on Tuesday failed to appear before an anti-terrorism court, which took strong exception and ordered his physical presence on July 9.

Musharraf, 69, has been named as one of the main accused in assassination of Bhutto by the Federal Investigative Agency (FIA) last month.

The Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) in Rawalpindi fixed July 9 for next hearing and ordered the authorities to produce Musharraf, a court official said. Musharraf failed to appear before the court due to security reasons, officials said.

Bhutto was assassinated in a gun-and-bomb attack outside Rawalpindi's Liaquat Bagh ground shortly after addressing an election rally on December 27, 2007. Musharraf has also been accused of failing to provide adequate security to Bhutto.

On June 25, the FIA had submitted a chargesheet against Musharraf including him in the list of main accused in the case in the ATC in Rawalpindi.

(Agencies)

Latest News from World News Desk