New Delhi: Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief Sharad Yadav on Saturday sought temporary ban on social media in wake of rumours of revenge attacks by angry Muslims, which triggered exodus of North Easterners from Bangalore to their home states.

Yadav complimented the visual media for its splendid work in containing the panic.

"The government could handle it. I am not asking for permanent ban. Let the situation in the country be normal. Nobody is trying to curtail freedom. The visual media has done a splendid job," he said.

Yadav hit out at Union Home Secretary R.K. Singh for inept handling of the situation.

"The statements of the home secretary, in the last two to three days, have disappointed me," he said.

Yadav further said it was not clear, what constituted bulk SMS, on which the government had imposed ban.

"He said there would be ban on bulk SMS for a short time. But he did not explain how many whether it will be 10, 20, 100, 500 SMS," he added.

The Ministry of Home Affairs has ordered surveillance of websites and social networking sites to identify those who are misreporting facts and circulating messages to instigate violence.

Home Secretary Singh earlier on Friday said to check rumours, bulk SMSes and MMSes have been banned for 15 days with immediate effect.

Karnataka Police has arrested seven persons on charges of attack, intimidation and sending ''false'' SMSs.

Police personnel in Bangalore have swung into action to avoid any untoward incident. Patrolling has been increased in areas prominently inhabited by people from the northeastern states.

Cutting across party lines, Members of Parliament earlier on Friday sent out a strong and loud message to the northeast people that the whole country was for them and with them and that they need not have any apprehension about their safety.

(Agencies)

Latest News from India News Desk