Kathmandu, Jan 29 (Agencies): A Hindu activist is gearing up for the fourth legal battle opposing the government's decision to open the main treasury of the Pashupatinath temple, which Hindus believe was padlocked for over 2,000 years and should remain unopened.

Bharat Mani Jangam, who took on Nepal's former Maoist guerrillas in the past to prevent their decision to sack the Indian priests at the temple, has now registered a public interest suit in the Supreme Court.

'The main treasury of the temple is a sacred site that has remained locked for over 2,000 years during the reign of over four different dynasties,' the 64-year-old activist said.

“In 2006, Nepal became secular. It means the government has no right to interfere in religious institutions…,” the activist added.

Last month, the Cabinet decided to open the main treasury, said to contain fabled riches, and an inventory made of the valuables it contained.

The ministers also decided while the gold, silver and cash there should be kept in the central bank, other items should be displayed in museums.

Jangam said, “Hindus are not going to tolerate this rank interference in their religious matters. The government move will trigger violence and bloodshed.”

The Hindu activist says Hindus are not opposed to the riches of Pashupatinath being conserved. But it should be done legally, not by a caretaker government or mere ministry.

“We are asking the state, if need be, to enact a new law to safeguard the riches of the shrine, revered by one billion Hindus worldwide,” he informed.

The court will begin hearing the petition on Monday. Jangam has stated the council of ministers and the culture ministry as respondents.