The Centre on Sunday said it is determined to curb attacks on minorities as the violence there was aimed at starting a "full-fledged communal conflagration".

Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said that in the last few days, there have been wanton acts of depredation leading to death of 32 people, mostly women and children, and of them, 31 belonged to the minority community.

"These innocent lives were lost at the hands of cadres of certain group. The objective of this group seems to be aimed at starting a full-fledged communal conflagration," he said in a statement in New Delhi

“The Central government cannot remain unaffected by these killings and is determined to ensure the safety and security of innocent human lives. This determination is all the more important since these incidents are targeted at the minorities," he said.

Strongly condemning the acts of the militant group, Shinde said the Home Ministry has already deployed 43 companies (4300 personnel) of central armed police forces and 10 more companies (1000 personnel) are being sent.

He said the Ministry of Defence also has deployed 15 columns of the army comprising of approximately 1500 soldiers. These numbers are not fixed and can be increased as per further requirement, he said.

"My appeal to all is to maintain calm and quiet as the forces on the ground will definitely control the situation and bring the guilty to justice," Shinde said.

He said the public leaders of both Bodo and minority community must see to it that the situation does not deteriorate.

The violence has so far claimed 34 lives in three Bodo- dominated districts: Kokrajhar, Chirang and Baska in Assam in last three days.

The Assam government has formally asked the Union Home Ministry to hand over the cases to the NIA.

(JPN)

Latest News from India News Desk