Nawada: Nine French tourists, who were detained by police and lodged in a circuit house, were safely rescued when a fire broke out in the building within Nagar police station limit in Nawada district on Sunday.

The tourists were safely brought out of the circuit house by policemen when the fire broke out in its kitchen. The blaze was later doused by its staff with fire extinguishers.

The tourists were detained by police for violation of visa rules as soon as they arrived at Qadirganj, near here on Saturday night.