The Lok Sabha MP from Mumbai North said that he would continue his agitation till the demand was met.

Addressing his supporters, Nirupam lamented that Mumbai was excluded from 20 percent cut in power tariff charged to domestic consumers, industries and power looms by the state-run Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company (MahaVitaran).

The Cabinet had last week decided that the concession of cut in power tariff by 20 percent would be applicable to consumers with consumption of less than 300 units.
    
“The cut in power tariff will not be applicable in Mumbai where there are players other than MahaVitaran supply power. Mumbai consumers get power supply from Tata Power, Reliance Infrastructure and BrihanMumbai Electric Supply and Transport undertaking,” the government had said.

Flaying the opposition BJP for alleging that the decision by the Maharashtra government to reduce 20 percent power tariff charged to domestic consumers, industries and power looms was taken ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had said the government has fulfilled its assurance given in November last year.

He said that the state government had on November 19 last year assured to fulfill the promise to reduce power tariff by 20 percent. The Chief Minister said the state government will have to bear an additional burden of Rs 7,200 crore on the state exchequer.

Nirupam along with party’s Lok Sabha member Priya Dutt had been ‘protesting’ and demanding reduction of electricity bills for power consumers, especially, in Mumbai.
    
He had also written to the Maharashtra Chief Minister demanding a power tariff cut, reasoning that if the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government in Delhi could do so, why it could not be replicated in Mumbai and Maharashtra.

(Agencies)

Latest News from State News Desk