Pune: Still looking for clues to crack Wednesday night's serial blasts here that left one injured, Pune police on Thursday said no arrest or detention has been made in connection with the incident and that it was probing if it was the handiwork of a terror outfit.

"There has been no arrest or detention so far. We are collecting scientific evidence in the ongoing investigations", Joint Commissioner of police Sanjiv Singhal told reporters.

Amid reports that Indian Mujahideen, which was behind 2010 German Bakery blast here that claimed 17 lives, could have triggered the serial blasts, the officer refused to confirm whether the home-grown terror outfit was involved in the quadruple explosions.

"We will be able to tell only after investigations are complete. It will not be proper to make a comment at this stage," Singhal said when asked whether the blasts carried the stamp of a terrorist network.

Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil, who visited the four blast sites earlier in the day also said investigating agencies were probing all angles to determine whether any terror outfit was behind the low-intensity blasts.

"Whether it was a terrorist act or not will be determined only after proper investigations are carried out by Maharashtra ATS, city crime branch and central agencies," he said.

"All angles are being probed and it will not be proper to comment at this stage," he said when asked if there could be a "saffron terror" angle to the blasts.

He said few days after the murder of terror suspect Qateel Siddique in Yerwada prison, Pune police had got a letter in Marathi which threatened that the murder would be avenged. "This angle is being probed," Patil said.

Suspected Indian Mujahideen operative Mohammad Qateel Siddiqui was lodged in Yerwada Central Jail for his alleged role in in the German Bakery blast and the Bangalore terror attacks. He was found murdered in his prison cell in June this year after a brawl with some fellow inmates.

Patil said there were no inputs from central agencies about the blasts.

Singhal said the sole person injured in the blast near Bal Gandharva theatre, the 33-year-old Dayanand Patil was being "interrogated". His wife Satyakala and some bicycle shop owners in the city's Kasaba peth area were also questioned as part of the investigations.

"A box like object was used to plant the bombs which were triggered with detonators, 9 volt battery cells and timer," Singhal said, adding that a white substance too had been found and sent to forensic labs for investigations and reports were awaited. There were unconfirmed reports that ammonium nitrate was used to trigger the blasts.

Investigators trying to string together bits of evidence were reported to have hit a hurdle as some CCTV cameras at the explosion sites were found to be non-functional.

The CCTV cameras installed at Dena Bank, McDonald's and Bal Gandharva traffic square, near where the explosions occurred, have not yielded any clue so far and some of them were non-functional.

Sources said the Maharashtra ATS, city Crime Branch and the NIA are looking for clues from the two bicycles as two of the four coordinated blasts occurred in their front carriers.

Explosives were strapped on these bicycles which appear newly purchased and investigators are trying to locate the shop from where these were bought in order to nail the perpetrators.

Police have registered an offence against "unknown persons" under sections 307 (attempt to murder), 427 (mischief causing damage), 120 B (criminal conspiracy) and relevant sections of Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and Explosive Substances Act.


Latest News from India News Desk