New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha on Tuesday failed to transact any business as DMK and AIADMK members disrupted proceedings repeatedly, demanding an assurance from the government that it will support a resolution at the UN against the Sri Lankan for alleged atrocities on ethnic Tamils.
Members from Tamil Nadu raised the issue as soon as the House met for the day, which was to be the first working day of the budget session after the Presidential address in the joint sitting on Monday.
The members forced three adjournments till 2 PM before the final one for the day.
DMK members were demanding that India should support a resolution moved by the US, France and Norway in the United Nations Human Rights Commission (UNHRC) against the alleged atrocities committed on Sri Lankan Tamils during the island nation's civil war.
DMK was joined by members of its rival AIADMK and Left parties in seeking a response from the government on the stand India would take on the resolution.
The Government agreed to make a statement on the issue and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said, "The External Affairs Minister S M Krishna will reach Delhi today evening. On Wednesday he will make a statement." But, members disagreed and sought a statement on Tuesday itself.
However, the members were unrelenting and amid uproar the House was adjourned till noon.
Soon after the House reassembled for Zero Hour, the agitating members trooped into the well not paying heed to repeated pleas by Deputy Chairman K Rahman Khan, leading to its adjournment for 15 minutes and then again till 2 PM.
When the House met again, similar scenes were witnessed.
"We want Government of India to support the resolution... An assurance be given in the House that India will support the resolution at UN," AIADMK member V Maitreyan said as he trooped into the Well. He was supported by his party members and those of DMK.
Deputy Chairman K Rahman Khan requested members to take their seats in view of government's assurance that it will make a statement on the issue on Wednesday.
But members did not budge and kept shouting, forcing the Chair to adjourn the House for the day.