New Delhi: Its ‘Chotoo’ again from Indian Mujahideen with a fresh mail after the Delhi High Court blast warning that the next attack would be at a crowded place in Ahmedabad. Hopeful but not decisive leads: Centre Two days after Delhi High Court blast, Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday said there were "promising" but not "very conclusive leads" in the case and agencies of foreign countries had also been roped in. Two detained in UP Two people were detained in Uttar Pradesh on Friday in connection with the Delhi High Court blast two days ago which claimed 13 lives, police said here. Read More: After HuJI, now IM claims responsibility The man detained at the Shivpur police station in Varanasi was identified as Lekhma Ram, a resident of Ajmer. Forty eight hours after a bomb blast at the Delhi High Court killed 12 persons, security has been beefed up at the Supreme Court at the instance of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. (Agencies)
Gujarat has been put on high alert as the third email also received on Friday had warned to target Ahmedabad.
The mail sent to media houses in Delhi and Mumbai also claimed that the third mail sent from firstname.lastname@example.org had been deciphered correctly that Indian Mujahideen will be carrying out another attack in Ahmedabad.
The fresh email was sent from the same Gmail id 'email@example.com' this evening at 6:39 PM from which an electronic message was received on Thursday.
It claimed that Indian Mujahideen had done the High Court blast after a lot of consideration and also challenged National Investigation Agency and Delhi Police to trace the mails.
The mail, signed by it also claimed that the third email received by Delhi Police headquarters was "correct and updated".
Yesterday a mail was received by media houses in Mumbai and Delhi purportedly written by ‘Chotoo’ of Indian Mujahideen who claimed responsibility for the Delhi blast and warned that another blast will take place at a shopping mall.
The mail sent from ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ was received at 12:37 PM claiming that Harkat-ul-Jehadi Islami had no role to play in the blasts and it was done by the Indian Mujahideen.
The mail also reasoned that they had chosen Wednesday as the day of the blast as it was a busy day for the High Court and there is a lot of crowd. The Delhi High Court hears Public Interest Litigations on Wednesday.
The mail claimed that another blast will take place at a shopping mall.
"We are examining the email received by the media houses...about its authenticity and veracity and (we are) taking it seriously," Secretary (Internal Security) in the
Home Ministry U K Bansal told reporters.
He did not rule out cross-border connection, saying, "At this moment, every organization is suspect" and he was "keeping fingers crossed till we have evidence".
Addressing a press conference here, Chidambaram said a "strong" team of investigators, comprising specialized National Investigative Agency (NIA) and Delhi Police, are pursuing the blast case vigorously.
A person, suspected of sending e-mail immediately after the blast, has been taken in for questioning in Kishtwar in Jammu and Kashmir. "We have to wait for that report to come," he said.
"As far as investigations are concerned, there are promising leads but I can't yet call them very conclusive leads," he said.
Chidambaram said all information and leads are being taken seriously and being pursued by the investigators round-the-clock.
"I wish to emphasize round-the-clock as we are seeking help from other agencies from around the world too. Therefore, these leads are pursued round-the-clock by very strong team that has been constituted by NIA and Delhi Police. All other agencies are helping," he said.
Referring to the first email which claimed responsibility for the blast, the Home Minister said it was sent from a cybercafé in Kishtwar and that has been located.
"The person, whom we were looking for as a suspect, who sent the email, has been located and has been taken into custody for interrogation. We have to wait for that report to come," he said.
Chidambaram said subsequently two more e mails were received, the last one today.
"These were not dismissed though the third email appears to be very amateurish email. It could be cracked within a few minutes. The numbers read as Ahmedabad... So the email senders are hinting that the strike will be in Ahmedabad," he said.
Chidambaram said since it was a very simple code, very amateurish code, he was not very sure whether it was sent by a serious person. "Nevertheless, we are taking it seriously and Gujarat government has been alerted," he said.
He said a detailed advisory has been sent to states reiterating earlier advisory and asking them to enhance vigil against similar terrorist attacks particularly in metropolitan areas and in big towns.
Owners and managements of such institutes, which usually attract large public congregation, have been advised to ensure strict access control and security related surveillance in respect of suspicious persons and objects, he said.
Chidambaram said security arrangements in Delhi are being reviewed and instructed to use optimum resources available and ensure synergy between all agencies in emergency response.
With regard to the High Court blast, Chidambaram said preliminary findings of the forensic examination conducted by different teams of forensic experts indicated presence of nitrate-based explosives and traces of some other explosives as well.
"These findings are reconciled to get a clear picture of exact nature of the explosives used in the blast," he said.
The Home Minister described the period beginning August 15 to end of December as very sensitive as several festivals and like 9/11 fall during this period.
"So this is always a difficult period. We will do our best to secure people of India. We are doing our best... The police is doing their best (to protect the people", the police is doing their best," he said.
Chidambaram asked people to remain alert and report to police they find any unidentified object or a suspicious person or any suspicious movement.
He gave a list about the steps being taken to strengthen the country's police forces that include recruitment of one lakh policemen in the Central Para-military Forces (CPMF) in last two years and one lakh policemen the state police forces.
The CPMF is having another one lakh this year and the states are expected to add one more lakh. But that still leaves vacancy of 5 to 6 lakh across the country," he said.
Describing these vacancies a result of "cumulative neglect of many years", Chidambaram said, "I can raise fingers but I won't do that."
He said India began to address the issue of "cumulative neglect" after November 2008 attack like the US started doing it after 9/11.
While the US has reached a comfortable stage, "we have reached a modest level in two years... It will take time," he said as he sought cooperation in terms of intelligence from everyone, including chowkidars.
Sender of e-mail from Kashmir detained: Chidambaram
Home Minister P. Chidambaram on Friday said investigators have taken into custody the person suspected to have sent the e-mail from Jammu and Kashmir owning the responsibility for the Delhi High Court blast two days ago.
“The person has been taken into custody for interrogation,” Chidambaram told reporters here.
Wednesday's blast outside the court killed 13 and injured over 90 people
"One person was detained in Varanasi and another in Bela village on the outskirts of Balrampur district, essentially on account of their resemblance with the sketch of suspects released by Delhi Police," said a top police officer.
The one picked up in Balrampur was identified as Shehzad, a permanent resident of Bela village who had come home from Pune, he added.
"However, nothing incriminating has come out during the course of their questioning so far," he said.
Five people were arrested in Jammu and Kashmir Thursday over the e-mail reportedly sent by the Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami (HuJI), taking responsibility for the blast which also injured 96 people Wednesday.
Security beefed up in Supreme Court
A three-layered security ring has been put in place with lawyers and litigants being subjected to frisking first at the main gates, followed by the inner gates and thereafter, outside the courtrooms.
Armed Delhi Police commandos were deployed at vantage points in the apex court complex and a posse of other category of police personnel kept a strict vigil.
Besides using metal detectors, the security personnel manning the entry and exit points are frisking those visiting the apex court and their belongings with hand-held detectors.
Vehicles are also being thoroughly checked.
The heightened security measures followed the Prime Minster direction to Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and Law Minister Salman Khursheed to ensure fool-proof security at the Supreme Court which is hardly a kilometre away from the high court, the scene of Wednesday's blast.
Chief Justice of India S H Kapadia had earlier on Thursday reviewed security arrangements in the Supreme Court, Delhi High Court and other subordinate courts in the national capital in the wake of the blast.
E-mails purportedly sent by terror groups to media houses and the Delhi police have warned of similar attacks on the Supreme Court and other high courts.
Pune on high alert after Delhi blast
The city police have sounded a high alert and tightened security in backdrop of the powerful bomb blast outside the Delhi High Court on Wednesday.
Makarand Ranade, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Branch), on Friday said, "We have tightened the security and issued directives to all police stations to alert the Ganesh mandals in their jurisdiction about security measures. Also police have intensified patrolling."
He said around 10,000 policemen have been deployed in the city, which is in the midst of Ganesh festivities. "Also we have asked Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad (BDDS) to step up vigil in crowded areas. With the help of the traffic branch, the police are conducting drives to check for abandoned vehicles on the roads."
New Delhi: Its ‘Chotoo’ again from Indian Mujahideen with a fresh mail after the Delhi High Court blast warning that the next attack would be at a crowded place in Ahmedabad.
Hopeful but not decisive leads: Centre
Two days after Delhi High Court blast, Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday said there were "promising" but not "very conclusive leads" in the case and agencies of foreign countries had also been roped in.
Two detained in UP
Two people were detained in Uttar Pradesh on Friday in connection with the Delhi High Court blast two days ago which claimed 13 lives, police said here.
Read More: After HuJI, now IM claims responsibility
The man detained at the Shivpur police station in Varanasi was identified as Lekhma Ram, a resident of Ajmer.
Forty eight hours after a bomb blast at the Delhi High Court killed 12 persons, security has been beefed up at the Supreme Court at the instance of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.