Allahabad/Lucknow: Curfew was on Friday clamped in an Allahabad locality as a precautionary measure while stray incidents took place in Lucknow during a street protest against the ongoing ethnic strife in Assam.
"The curfew was imposed in Kotwali police station area from 7 P.M. and will remain in force till midnight when further decision will be taken after reviewing the situation," Additional District Magistrate (City), D P Giri told.
Trouble began this afternoon when a procession was being taken out by some members of a minority community in localities falling under Kotwali police station.
However, policemen deployed in the area objected to the procession pointing out that no prior permission had been obtained and that order had to be maintained in view of large crowds expected at places of worship on the occasion of the last Friday prayers of Ramzan.
The agitators allegedly reacted strongly and tried to proceed with the procession with some of them indulging in heavy stone-pelting which left several persons, including some policemen, injured and caused damage to a number of shops in the vicinity and vehicles parked nearby.
Soon a heavy contingent of security personnel, comprising local police, Provincial Armed Constabulary and Rapid Action Force was pressed into service which helped bring the situation under control even though stray incidents of stone-pelting continued.
Earlier, the protest march in Lucknow after the Friday prayers turned violent here as a group of people, shouting slogans against alleged atrocities on minorities in Assam and Myanmar, resorted to stone pelting and vandalism.
The protest march which started from near the Tile Wali Masjid created a ruckus on its way forcing business establishments to close down and vandalising parks and vehicles, a senior police official said.
When the RAF and PAC tried to stop them they indulged in brick batting damaging public properties and vehicles.
The protesters also took offence to the presence of media covering the event and damaged their vehicles and equipments, police said.
Later police resorted to baton charge as the protesters tried to march towards Vidhan Sabha.
Principal Secretary (Home), RM Srivastava, who visited the areas also had to face the ire of the protesters who chased his vehicle away.
Some people have sustained injuries in the incidents and action is being taken against those who have tried to disturb peace, the SSP said.


Latest News from Uttar Pradesh News Desk