New Delhi: Zee Group Chairman Subhash Chandra and his two editors, accused in the alleged Rs 100 crore extortion bid from Naveen Jindal's firm, were on Monday issued notices by a Delhi court which sought their response on Delhi Police's plea for conducting a lie detector test on them. (Agencies)
Metropolitan Magistrate Sudhanshu Kaushik sought the response of Chandra and Zee News head Sudhir Chaudhary and Zee Business Editor Samir Ahluwalia on December 12, while remanding the two editors to judicial custody till December 22.
"Since the investigating officer has not sought their further custody, they are remanded to judicial custody till December 22," the court said.
The Crime Branch of Delhi Police told the court that a lie detector test of Chandra is required to bring the truth on record. It also sought the test to be conducted on the two accused editors saying it is required because they are concealing some crucial facts in the case.
It said that on December 8, Chandra and his son Punit Goenka had joined the investigation and both the editors have been confronted with them.
"Despite their confrontation, they are concealing some crucial facts in the case. In these circumstances, lie detector test of Chandra is required to bring the truth on record," it said.
The police also sought voice samples of both the editors saying it is required for comparison with the voices recorded on audio/video devices by the officials of Jindal Steel and Power Limited during the sting operation.
Meanwhile, the counsel for Zee Group Vijay Aggarwal approached the court for its permission to preserve the call details of industrialist and Congress MP Navin Jindal, his elder brother Prithvi Jindal and uncle Sitaram Jindal between September and November 2012.
Aggarwal, in his application, said, "By preserving the call records, we can get crucial evidence in the case for which our Group (Zee) is facing alleged extortion case."
He also said that indirectly these three Jindals used to contact the Zee Chairman.
The court, meanwhile, issued notice to the Crime Branch for December 19 seeking its response on the Zee group's plea.
Chaudhary, 40, and Ahluwalia, 41, were produced before the court after expiry of their two days police remand.
Both the editors were remanded to judicial custody as the investigating agency did not seek their further custody to interrogate them.
The two were sent to police custody on December 8 after the agency had sought their fresh remand to confront them with Chandra and Goenka, Managing Director of Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd.
They were arrested on November 27 and were subjected to custodial interrogation for two days before being sent to judicial custody on November 30.
Both Chaudhary and Ahluwalia have been booked under section 384 (extortion), 120 B (criminal conspiracy) and 511 (punishment for attempting to commit offences punishable with imprisonment for life or other imprisonment) of the IPC.
The court had rejected their bail pleas last week saying they had not given any new ground for their release in their fresh applications after dismissal of their first one on
New Delhi: Zee Group Chairman Subhash Chandra and his two editors, accused in the alleged Rs 100 crore extortion bid from Naveen Jindal's firm, were on Monday issued notices by a Delhi court which sought their response on Delhi Police's plea for conducting a lie detector test on them.