New Delhi: Extending its probe, the CBI on Thursday carried out searches at over 40 locations across Uttar Pradesh and in the national capital in connection with alleged irregularities in execution and implementation of National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) after registering three new cases.
   
CBI officials carried out searches at 44 places in Uttar Pradesh, including Lucknow, Moradabad, Varanasi, Muzafarnagar, Kanpur, Allahabad and NOIDA, and Delhi.
   
The Lucknow residence of former Principal Secretary Family Welfare of Uttar Pradesh Pradeep Shukla was among the places being searched by the agency, CBI sources said.
   
The sources said residences of some bureaucrats, Chief Medical Officers and politicians are also covered in the operation.
   
Shukla, who was Principal Secretary during the tenure of former minister Babu Singh Kushwaha, has been questioned twice in connection with the case.
   
The agency officials also reached the office of CMO, Allahabad to collect some documents.
   
The cases registered by the CBI include upgradation of hospitals under the NRHM scheme and other civil works.    

"The first case refers to alleged criminal conspiracy amongst officials of Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of UP, officers of UP Processing and Construction Cooperative Federation Ltd. (PACCFED) and Directors of three private firms based at Moradabad and Gazrola (all of UP)," CBI spokesperson Dharini Mishra said here.
   
The official said the allegations relate to award of contract of upgradation of 89 district level hospitals involving an amount of Rs 89 crores. On the basis of payment made so far, estimated loss caused is Rs 5.89 cores.
   
CBI said the second case has been registered against officials of health and family welfare, UP Project Corporation Ltd. (UPPCL) and the directors of three private firms based in
Ghaziabad, Kanpur & Noida and other unknown persons relating to upgradation of 40 district hospitals.
   
"This case relates to award of contract of upgradation of 40 district level hospitals in UP on the basis of forged and bogus documents and by paying illegal gratification to the concerned and servants of Health and Family Welfare department and UPPCL, Uttar Pradesh," the CBI spokesperson said.
   
The official said it was alleged that wrongful loss to the extent of Rs 25 lakhs per hospital was caused to the government exchequer in the said contract in this project of Rs.160 crore.
   
On the basis of payment made so far, the estimated loss caused is approximately Rs.5.84 crore, the official said.    

The spokesperson said the third case related to alleged irregularities in the work related to installation and related civil works and also renovation of toilets in various hospitals of UP.
   
"This case has been registered against the officials of Health and Family Welfare department, officials of Uttar Pradesh Small Industries Corporation (UPSIC), 3 other private firms based at Kanpur (UP), three private persons and other unknown persons.
   
"A wrongful loss of Rs 3.5 crores approximately to the government exchequer is alleged to have been caused as per estimates on date in the award of this contract which was given at exorbitant rates in a pre-decided manner," she said.
   
Total eight cases have been registered by the CBI in connection with the NRHM scam.

(Agencies)