Chennai,Jan 25 (Agencies): Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Tuesday dubbed the Opposition parties' campaign against DMK on the 2G spectrum allocation issue as politically motivated and accused them of trying to deceive people by highlighting the Rs 1.76 lakh crore "presumptive loss".
  
Writing in party organ "Murasoli", he said the loss arising out of allocation of 2G spectrum on priority basis could not be of the amount "as alleged by the opposition."
     
Even the CAG had said in his report that the amount arrived at was a presumptive loss, which was debatable, Karunanidhi, whose partyman A Raja was forced to resign as Union Telecom Minister over the 2G issue, said.
    
The opposition had taken that figure and started propagating that the government had incurred a huge loss, he said.

The loss could be arrived through several ways, but in a welfare state, a government could not function on the basis of earning profits as it had to take into account social benefit at large, he said.

Even the policy of first-come-first served was not taken by Raja, he said adding that the former minister simply followed the decision taken by the Group of Ministers during the NDA regime.
     
On the demand for a JPC probe, he said the previous experience had shown that such probe could not find out truth.
     
He said the PAC was headed by an opposition MP, but a JPC would be normally led by a ruling party member.

Karunanidhi said he had already stated that the DMK would not hesitate to take action against Raja if he was found guilty.
     
The allegations against the DMK on the issue were only to deceive the people, the DMK chief said.