Meerut: More than 150 people fell ill due to food poisoning after consuming meals at a marriage function in Taufapur village of the district, police said on Sunday.

The incident took place last night when more than 300 people ate food at the marriage party which was arranged by one Habib, they said.

People started complaining of nausea after eating the food. Those affected were rushed to Meerut Medical Hospital and various nursing homes in the city.

Some of the affected people were discharged after treatment, S P Singh, senior doctor of Medical Hospital, said.

"It is a case of food poisoning," CMO of hospital Ajeet Choudhry said.

District health officials visited the site and food samples were sent for the testing.