Around 3,000 villagers ate the 'prasad', comprising 'khichdi' and 'kheer', distributed at Mahadev temple in in Tarana tehsil on Tuesday, around 35 kms from here, acting Chief Medical and Health Officer, Dr DPS Gahirwar, said.

The 'prasad' distribution which started from noon had continued till late night.

"As many as 99 persons are still being treatment at the district hospital while the rest had been discharged from different hospitals," in-charge, Chief Medical and Health Officer (CM&HO), Dr DPS Gahirwar, said.

After consuming the 'prasad', more than 400 persons complaining of vomiting, loose motions and nausea flocked to Tarana primary health centre and other clinics, Gahirwar said.

As many as 99 people were rushed to district hospital, he said, adding, all of them are keeping well now and will be discharged shortly.

The official said people fell sick due to food poisoning and samples of prasad have been collected for test.

Latest News from Madhya Pradesh News Desk