New Delhi: Putting the ongoing trial in the 26/11 case in Pakistan into further uncertainty, a judicial commission of that country, which was to record statements of key persons involved in Mumbai attack probe, failed to arrive on its scheduled visit to India on Thursday.
       
Islamabad conveyed to New Delhi through diplomatic channels that the commission would not be able to come to India on its planned visit as part of the judicial process in the 26/11 case in Pakistan, government sources said.
       
Though no reason has been given for the cancellation of the trip, the sources said it could be due to a special hearing in the case on February 4 at a Rawalpindi court where the trial is going on.
       
Pakistan has not suggested any fresh date for the visit of the commission. India had earlier conveyed that the commission could come anytime between February 1 and 10.
    
The commission was supposed to record the statement of Ramesh Mahale, the 26/11 case investigating officer and R V Sawant-Waghul, the magistrate who recorded the confessional statement of lone surviving Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab. The statements of two doctors who conducted the post-mortem of the nine slain terrorists involved in the macabre attack along with Kasab were also supposed to be recorded by it.
    
The visit of the commission has been pending for close to two years and it has been delayed due to one reason or the other.
       
The trial in the Rawalpindi court also has been going on at a snail's pace and Indian officials are not very optimistic that the guilty will be punished any time soon.

(Agencies)