One terrorist was killed on Tuesday evening and combing operations by the security forces are still underway.

''It was a tricky operation, had to clear 60 rooms of EDI building without collateral damage,'' said Army official.

Day before yesterday in the morning we started, yesterday we kept working and today we in the morning we started clearing of op:Ashok Narula

— ANI (@ANI_news) October 12, 2016

Army personnel fired mortar shells at the multi-storey building of the Entrepreneurship Development Institute (EDI) at Pampore on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway at regular intervals with the aim of flushing out the militants or cornering them to one side of the building, officials said here.

Most part of the concrete building has been reduced to a skeleton as many of its walls have been blown up.

Elite Para commandos of the army have also been called in to neutralise the terrorists but the security personnel are not rushing in to the building to avoid casualties, the officials said. The area around the EDI premises has been cordoned off to prevent the terrorists from escaping, the official said.

Also Read: Pampore Attack: Operations Resume Against Holed-Up Terrorists In Kashmir

Two to three terrorists stormed into the EDI complex in the wee hours on Monday and took positions inside one of the buildings.

The ultras could have entered the complex from the riverside after travelling by boat but that can only be ascertained once the operation is over, the officials said.

After getting inside the complex, the terrorists set on fire few mattresses inside a hostel room to attract the attention of the police and other security forces, which arrived within minutes of the smoke emanating from the building.

A soldier and a policeman were injured on Monday as security forces battled two to four guerrillas trapped in a government complex in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district.

Also Read: Pampore Encounter: Terrorists Used Jhelum To Attack Government Building

The security forces on Monday used mortar shells, Light Machine Guns and other small arms to flush out the terrorists.

The multi-storey building is located on the banks of the Jhelum river, some 12 km from the Srinagar city centre. The terrorists changed their positions constantly to avoid getting killed, the officer said.

The security forces fired rockets and used light machine guns in a bid to localize the guerrillas so as to launch a final assault without suffering major casualties, official sources said.

Also Read: Infiltration Bid Foiled By Military In Tangdhar Sector Near LoC

The joint operation was launched by the army, the Special Operations Group of the state police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) soon after the militants' presence was reported.

The fighting was raging for over six hours, officials said.A soldier was injured when he sustained a gunshot on his foot."Security forces have surrounded the building and all escape routes have been sealed," a police officer said. The building has more than 200 rooms.

Residents in the area told IANS that the terrorists entered the institute from the river side and were holed up inside the hostel.

Also Read: 9 People Injured In Grenade Attack In Shopian District

There were some JKEDI employees in the complex at the time of the attack but most said they were not sure how the terrorists got in.

Terrorists had targeted the EDI building in February this year as well. Five security force personnel including two young army officers and a civilian employee of the Institute and three terrorists were killed in that operation which lasted 48 hours.