Mumbai: England shot out Mumbai A for 286 in their first innings before lunch to take a 59-run lead on the third and final day of their second warm-up game at the D Y Patil Stadium on Monday.

The tourists then increased the lead before the end of the first session by making 13 without loss with openers Joe Root (13) and Nick Compton (0) the unbeaten batsmen after four overs.

Resuming at 232 for 4, Mumbai A slumped to 286 in 93 minutes on the third morning, mainly to the spinning ball.

Speedster Graham Onions secured the first breakthrough by sending back overnight unbeaten batsman Hiken Shah eight short of his hundred before left-arm spinners Monty Panesar and Samit Patel ran through the lower order.

The last five wickets of the home team fell for the addition of only 22 runs -- three overs after Shah fell at 240.

Panesar took two of the five wickets that were claimed by the spinners while Patel got the other three in just 16 balls while conceding 10 runs.

Panesar finished with 3 for 64, having secured the wicket of Cheteshwar Pujara yesterday, and Patel had figures of 3 for 44 after having made 60 in the England innings.

Coming on top of the 100 he made and the two wickets he claimed in the first game against India A, Patel's all-round display here has strengthened his claim for a Test spot in the first match of the best-of-four series starting at Ahmedabad on November 15.

Shah, not out 84 last evening when skipper Suryakumar Yadav fell in the last over with the score at 232, and new man Nikhil Patil Jr commenced the innings today against the new ball.

Shah cut Graham onions when the bowler erred outside the off stump for a couple of fours before edging him down the leg side to wicket keeper Jonny Bairstow to depart for 92 in the sixth ball of the morning.

At the other end, James Anderson, who had sent back Yadav last evening, bowled 14 balls, two from the over in which he got rid off the Mumbai A skipper yesterday, without conceding a run. He then replaced Onions at the pavilion end after the latter's expensive 3-over spell for 23 runs.

Monty Panesar, England's best pick on day two, replaced Anderson at the other end and sent back Patil through a catch at mid off to end the first hour of play in which 32 runs were added in 14.2 overs.

Samit Patel was brought on for Anderson and struck immediately with his first ball to have Sufiyan Shaikh caught at short extra cover. The home team lost two wickets for one run in 13 balls.

Panesar dismissed Shardul Thakur for 1 on the sweep shot to make it 270 for 8, Mumbai A having lost three wickets for six runs in 20 balls.

Patel then sent back Kshemal Waingankar and last man Javed Khan in successive balls to end the innings and help England take the first innings lead.

Stuart Broad, captaining the side in the absence of the rested Alastair Cook, was on the field from the first ball after having gone for a scan of his left heel at the D Y Patil hospital after the end of play last evening.

He did not bowl at all and has bowled only 10 overs, all yesterday. The scan report is awaited.


Latest News from Sports News Desk