Munde, whose application to contest the polls was rejected by the election officer on the basis of his residential status last Saturday, had appealed against the verdict but it too was rejected, to pave the way for Pawar to be elected unopposed. Munde's appeal against rejection of nomination quashed Munde's ‘downfall’ has begun: NCP (JPN/Agencies)
The NCP chief had headed the association for a decade from 2001-2011 before he stepped aside for Vilasrao Deshmukh to succeed him till the latter's death in August last year.
Pawar is being backed by all three groups contesting the biennial election, which has already seen intense lobbying for all the other posts in the managing committee.
The three panels - Bal Mahaddalkar group, Cricket First and Shetty's group - are headed by outgoing MCA chief Ravi Savant, incumbent vice president Vijay Patil and Cricket Board's general manager (game development), Prof. Ratnakar Shetty.
Savant and Patil are involved in a fight for bagging the two vice presidents' post in a triangular contest also featuring Shetty's panel member Pankaj Thakur.
MCA's long-time administrator Shetty, however, has been debarred from contesting the polls as he is a paid employee of MCA's parent body BCCI.
The treasurer's post would see a straight contest between Vinod Deshpande (Mahaddalkar group) and Mayank Khandwala (Cricket First).
There are four contestants for the two joint secretaries' post - incumbents Nitin Dalal and Dr PV Shetty (both Mahaddalkar group), Dr Unmesh Khanvilkar (Cricket First) and former joint secretary Pravin Barve (Shetty group).
Reacting to senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde's ouster from the election to the post of the president of MCA, NCP on Thursday said it was the beginning of his downfall.
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik said, "The downfall has begun with rejection of his (Munde's) application.... His political career has suffered a setback."
Malik also claimed that Munde would not be able to contest the upcoming Lok Sabha election, following his admission at a public function a few weeks ago that he spent Rs 8 crore on his campaign in 2009.
"He will not be able to contest the election for six years if he is convicted in the case," Malik said.
To the claim made by Leader of Opposition in Legislative Council Vinod Tawde and state BJP chief Devendra Fadnavis that they were ready to hand over necessary documentary evidence to Madhav Chitale committee which is probing the Rs 70,000 crore irrigation scam in Maharashtra, Malik said it was a gimmick, as the committee already had these documents.
Munde, whose application to contest the polls was rejected by the election officer on the basis of his residential status last Saturday, had appealed against the verdict but it too was rejected, to pave the way for Pawar to be elected unopposed.
Munde's appeal against rejection of nomination quashed
Munde's ‘downfall’ has begun: NCP