Speaking to reporters here, Minister of State (MoS) for Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore however added that state governments could act depending on the law and order situation. Citizens are also free to approach courts in case they have grievances, he said.
Rathore said when a film comes up for release, the Censor Board certifies it and has the authority to see, review the film and ask for certain deletions.
"But once the Censor Board certifies a film, thereafter the Supreme Court's guidelines are very clear, there have been past precedent also....And the High Court is very clear on it that the central government cannot act on a film thereafter," Rathore said.
State governments are authorised to take action depending on law and order situation, he added.
"So, if as on date, if there is any particular film which the state feels is causing a law and order, it is empowered to act judiciously," he said.
Asked to comment on the spate of protests across the country against the film, Rathore said those who have grievances against any particular film were free to approach courts.
"So this is a good time for the citizens of this country to know that the I&B ministry or the central government has no authority to act on any film once it has been released. The people are empowered, the citizens of this country are empowered to go to various courts of justice to seek their help," he added.
Activists of right-wing outfits Bajrang Dal and Hindu Sena have protested against 'PK' for allegedly hurting religious sentiments.

Latest News from India News Desk