Lucknow: Four people were killed after they inhaled poisonous gas in an Uttar Pradesh village on Friday, police said.

The tragedy took place when four labourers in Behjoi village (Sambhal district) tried to rescue one of their friends who was trapped in a tank containing molasses. As they were trying to rescue the man, they were hit by poisonous fumes and fell into the tank.

Sambhal district is 370 km from Lucknow.A home department spokesman informed that the deceased have been identified as Ravi, Ankit, Pankaj, Chote Veer and Virendra.

As the four did not return for long from the tank, an alarm was raised, following which policemen rushed to the spot and the five labourers were fished out.

While four of them had died by then, Virendra was rushed to a medical facility in Moradabad where he is battling for life. Police said the four dead bodies have been sent for autopsy.


(Agencies)

Latest News from Uttar Pradesh News Desk