London: Four months after the English riots, police on Wednesday raided about 100 addresses across London and arrested 62 suspects, taking the number of people arrested for one of the worst disorders that shamed Britain to over 3,400.

The Metropolitan Police said the pre-dawn swoop under "Operation Withern" was the largest action so far against people suspected of taking part in the August 6-9 riots.

"The raids saw search warrants executed at around 100 addresses across the Capital as part of the Met's ongoing efforts to identify, arrest and prosecute those involved in the London disorder this summer," the police said.

It said 62 arrests have been made and further arrests will continue. The Met has so far arrested 3,423 in connection with the summer's disorder, of whom 2,179 have been charged or summoned to court.

During the riots in London and other cities like Manchester and Birmingham, shops were looted, buildings burned and five people died. The riots erupted after a 29- year-old youth was shot dead by police in Totterham, North London.

"Today's activity is an indication that four months on from the incidents seen across London we remain absolutely committed to identifying and arresting those responsible for the disorder," Detective Superintendent Robin Bhairam said.

"Searches like those carried out today are happening on a daily basis and my message to those who were involved in criminality is that you will not get away with it.

"We have a huge team of dedicated officers working on this investigation and we will find you," he said.

"We are determined to bring those who committed these outrageous acts of criminality to justice and we will continue to make arrests," Bhairam said.

The Met also thanked the public response to a recent release of 200 images of suspected rioters.

The spree of rioting and looting seen in August was the UK's worst disorder for a generation. Taxpayers could face a 100-million-pound bill for the riots, according to provisional estimates.

(Agencies)