New Delhi: The Delhi government on Wednesday told the Delhi High Court that two policemen, who were on duty for the security of Nitish Katara murder convict Vikas Yadav on the day of 'Diwali' last year, have been suspended and inquiry was initiated against them.

Appearing for Delhi Police, Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan told the bench of justices Gita Mittal and V K Shali that the two constables who were on duty for Vikas's security were suspended and the inquiry has been initiated against them.

The state's action came after the allegation of Neelam Katara, mother of the deceased, that on last year's 'Diwali night Vikas was not in the AIIMS for his medical treatment.

While referring to the AIIMS medical records on March 23, she had alleged Vikas was not in his room on the night of October 26, 2011, which was the day of 'Diwali' and had sought a CBI inquiry into it.

 Her counsel P K Dey had said Vikas had left the AIIMS at 8.30 pm and came back the next morning but the sister, who was on duty, was not informed either by the patient or the policemen who were with him.
The state submitted reports regarding Vikas and his cousin Vishal's visits to various hospitals and said the government has incurred around Rs 20 lakh on security of both  the convicts between September 2009 to February 2012 for taking them for medical treatment from the jail.

The government also said that during that period Vishal had made telephone calls of Rs 55,000. MORE PTI AHA PNM Meanwhile, the bench asked the counsel appearing for Vikas and Vishal whether they are willing to pay the expenditure on their visits.

The court, however, made it clear that in case they failed to pay the money, it would pass an appropriate order.
According to Neelam Katara, Vishal was in Batra Hospital for 524 days for his treatment, out of which he had stayed there for 350 days by not clearing his hospital dues deliberately.

The court has set up a board of Army doctors to examine medical records of both the convicts to examine how many of their numerous visits to various hospitals were warranted.

Taking a serious view of Vishal's 87 visits to Batra Hospital and shifting of Vikas from 'B' class facility to 'A' class at the AIIMS since their conviction in 2008, the court had directed both the hospitals to place before it their medical records.

In 2008, a trial court awarded life imprisonment to Vikas and Vishal and a similar punishment to third accused Sukhdev Pehalwan who had been tried separately as he had absconded during the trial of the Yadav duo in the case.

While the convicts have moved the high court seeking reversal of the trial court's findings, police and Neelam have filed appeals for award of death penalty, saying the offence was of the "rarest of rare" category.

Nitish Katara, a business executive, was abducted from a marriage party at Ghaziabad on the intervening night of February 16-17, 2002, and was later killed for his alleged intimacy with Vikas' sister Bharti.