Jalandhar: All teachers of aided government schools across Punjab availed mass casual leave on Saturday, as teachers and other Employees Union held a state-level rally in Jalandhar to pressure the government to seek redressal of their demands.

Teachers of about 484 government aided schools of the state took out a rally in the city in support of their various demands. Almost 100 teachers who participated in the rally organised in the Sai Dass School raised slogans against the government's policy.

A few members of teachers' delegation met Chunni Lal Bhagat, Minister local bodies, who assured them that he would try his best to get their demands fulfilled after holding a meeting with minister of education along with other concerned officials next week.

While addressing the rally, head of Punjab state Aided teachers' union Gurucharan Singh Chahal said that for the time being the state government is extending a 95 percent grant to 484 aided schools. Whereas, the rest 5 percent grant is being provided by the managing  committees as salaries of the teachers.

They have demanded that aided schools should be shifted to education department on the lines of neighbouring states which would help lower the financial burden by Rs 18-20 crore on the state exchequer.


Latest News from Punjab News Desk