Sikh Federation UK and the British Sikh Council said in an open letter that there were ‘too many serious questions that remain unanswered’, BBC reported on Thursday.

Sikh Federation UK's spokesperson Dabinderjit Singh said Britain's Foreign Secretary William Hague had misled Parliament about the army assault on terrorists holed up in the shrine.

Citing a report by the British Cabinet Secretary, Hague had confirmed to Parliament earlier this month that the Indian government had sought advice from Britain prior to the operation.

In his report, Cabinet Secretary Jeremy Heywood had said that Britain advised India that a military operation in Sikhdom's holiest shrine should only be a last resort and suggested that helicopters could be used as part of a strategy to minimise casualties.

Hague told Britain's Members of Parliament this month that the Indian government's campaign had "differed from the approach recommended" and there had been no "helicopter-borne element".

"Every single book (on the subject) says that actually helicopter gunships were used. They were used on June 4, 5 and 6, 1984," Singh was quoted as saying.

"So that starts to put a different level of complicity in terms of what parliament was told," he said.

Official figures put the death toll in Operation Bluestar at 575.

British Sikh Council's Gurmukh Singh said, "Unless there is admission of the truth, and the whole truth is revealed, and then there is reconciliation, you cannot draw a line under 1984."

(Agencies)

Latest News from World News Desk