Chandigarh: With an aim to make coaching accessible to underprivileged students, Punjab government on Friday launched a drive to impart free tuitions to students belonging to Scheduled Castes and Backward Classes for competitive examinations.

Free coaching would be given to the students for bank exams in the first phase of the drive, an official spokesman of the SC/BC Welfare Department said here.

Tuitions for the entrance exam of Probationary Officers in banks and AAOs in LIC/GIC would commence from July 16 at Punjab Government's Ambedkar Institute of Career and Courses.

SC/BC candidates who belong to Punjab are eligible to apply for this, he said.

Candidates having an annual income less than Rs 2 lakh can also apply, he said, adding that the application deadline is July 2.

Out of total 40 seats, 70 percent seats are reserved for Scheduled Castes, whereas remaining 30 percent seats would be given to students of Backward Classes.

(Agencies)

Latest News from Punjab News desk