London: Queen Elizabeth II was on Sunday admitted to a hospital "as a precaution" after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis, Buckingham Palace officials said.
The 86-year-old monarch has been taken to King Edward VII Hospital in London, a palace spokesperson said. The spokesperson for the Queen said that she was in "good spirits" and was otherwise in "good health" besides the symptoms of gastroenteritis.  
"This is a precautionary measure. She was not taken into hospital immediately after feeling the symptoms. This is simply to enable doctors to better assess her," he said.
"The Queen is being assessed at the King Edward VII Hospital, London, after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis," the Palace said in a statement.
"As a precaution, all official engagements for this week will regrettably be either postponed or cancelled," the statement said.
Buckingham Palace said the monarch, who had taken ill on Friday, had been driven to the King Edward VII hospital in central London by private car. She was driven to the hospital in the private car from Windsor Castle, where she had been resting.
The Queen, who celebrates her 87th birthday next month, is expected to remain in hospital for about two days while she is being assessed. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were due to visit Italy on Wednesday for a two-day visit at the invitation of Italy's president, Giorgio Napolitano.

The couple were due to attend a private lunch and also visit the Pantheon, the ancient Roman monument where two Italian kings are buried. The Queen had on Saturday cancelled a planned visit to Wales. But she had undertaken a number of engagements during the last week.
On Tuesday she met the Archbishop of Canterbury at Buckingham Palace, and on Thursday she presented a host of Olympic stars with honours during an investiture ceremony.  

Gastroenteritis is an infection of the stomach and bowel, and the most common symptoms are vomiting and repeated episodes of diarrhoea.


Latest News from World News Desk