Hazipur (Vaishali): In a novel move to provide health care benefits to Railway Porter (Coolies) working at railway stations in North Central Railway zone, Indian Railways would issue health insurance smart card to them.

Using these cards, they will be able to avail treatment facility in any of the hospitals listed under Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojan (RSBY).

The decision was taken in a meeting of Labour department and RSBY, chaired by Chief Finance Manager, North Central Railway, Deepak Chabra on Thursday.

Atleast 1,500 license holder Coolies in North Central Railway will get health smart cards under Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna (RSBY). Coolies and their families working in Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh will get benefit of this smart card.

Under this health insurance scheme, Railway will contribute 75 percent i.e Rs 565 of the insurance amount while remaining 25 percent will be paid by the Coolies. Thereafter, an amount of Rs 30,000 will be transferred to smart card holders’ account.  The amount can be used by the Coolies and their family for any kind of treatment.

However, in case of those living Below Poverty Line (BPL), the state government will pay the Insurance premium amount.
To begin with, the scheme will be implemented in Bihar and will later be adopted by Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.


JPN/Bureau