New Delhi (Agencies): The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) was on Tuesday allowed by a Delhi court to quiz former Telecom Minister A Raja for two more days after it said that the "evasive" leader has to be confronted with documents and some officials of DoT to ascertain his role in the 2G spectrum case.

"It is a case in which the allegations are that the acts of the accused caused loss to the state to the tune of Rs 22,000 crore in the grant of the Unified Access Service Licences (UASL) by misuse of his official position.

"Naturally, it is a complex case based on documents and at the relevant time accused A Raja was the minister in charge of the department. Accordingly, considering the  submissions of the parties and material on record, Raja is remanded to police custody till February 10," Special CBI Judge O P Saini said.

During the hearing, CBI prosecutors K K Goel and Akhilesh sought four days' custody of the 47-year-old DMK leader saying "he was evasive in his replies and some more documents have to be recovered at his instance."

"Accused A Raja has to be confronted with suspects, some officials and staffs of Department of Telecommunications (DoT) to unearth the entire conspiracy," the prosecutors said.

"The trail of money, received from various telecom operators for the grant of the spectrum and the licences have to be unearthed," they said, adding the Supreme Court was also monitoring the investigation of the case.

The prosecutors, meanwhile, said the probe agency did not require the custody of former Telecom Secretary Siddharth Behura and his former Personal Secretary R K Chandolia and
they may be sent to judicial custody for 14 days. The plea was allowed by the court.

Counsel opposes plea

Raja's counsel refuted the plea that the agency was yet to recover some crucial documents at his instance.

"I am not having the custody of any document which CBI wants to recover from me. Whatever documents were there, they have already been seized by them in 2009 itself," the defence counsel said.

Senior advocate Ramesh Gupta opposed the plea saying "CBI should satisfy the court about the outcome of the five-day interrogation of the accused."

Terming as erroneous the plea that Raja was evasive, Gupta said the agency should specify the information.     

The prosecutors responded by saying "the case diary has already been submitted to the court. Each and everything cannot be disclosed in the open courtroom."

Charges very serious

The court, while sending Raja and two top officials to CBI's custody, had said the charge of loss of Rs 22,000 crore in award of the licences to some companies by his decisions "are very serious".

The probe agency, which had lodged an FIR on October 21, 2009, against some unnamed persons in the case, arrested Raja and two officials on February 2 under various provisions
of the IPC and the Prevention of Corruption Act, relating to the offence of conspiracy and abuse of official position.

The agency said that M/s Swan Telecom was allotted UAS licences for 13 circles for Rs 1,537 crore and it offloaded 45 per cent of its shares in the licences before the roll-out to
M/s Etilsalat of UAE for Rs 4,200 crores.

Similarly, M/s Unitech was allotted UAS licences for 22 circles for Rs 1,658 crore and it offloaded 60 per cent of its shares in the licences to M/s Telenor of Norway for Rs 6,100 crore even before the roll out, it said.

"The computation of loss, caused to the exchequer, in these two cases only was over Rs 7,000 crore," it said while justifying the estimation of the loss.

Though the agency has pegged the loss at Rs 22,000 crore based on the calculations made by the CVC, the CAG had in its report projected a presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore.

Sequence of events

Detailing the sequence of events, the agency said DoT had issued a release on September 24, 2007, that no new applications for the UAS licence would be accepted by it after
October 1.

However, while awarding the licences, the applications of only those companies were considered which had applied prior to the issuance of the DoT communique on September 24, it said.

The agency alleged that the accused conspired with some private companies in putting a cap on the maximum number of applications which could be entertained for the grant of licences.

This was against the recommendations of the TRAI, the telecom sector watchdog, that the competitive bidding process should be preferred over the first-come-first-serve basis, it said.

"The DoT officials had selectively leaked the information to some of the corporates regarding the date of issuance of letters of intent on January 10, 2008," it said, adding that as a result, only a few of the companies were able to deposit the licence fee.