Ghaziabad, Jan 25 (Agencies): Rajesh Talwar was attacked on Tuesday morning in the CBI court premises where he arrived for closure report hearing in the Aarushi murder case. Medical report states that he has sustained severe head injuries.

The suspect Utsav Sharma has been detained.

He is the same person who attacked SPS Rathore (accused in Ruchika Girhotra molestation case) in February 2010. After the attack by Utsav Sharma with a cleaver, Rajesh Talwar was left profusely bleeding from the head.

54-year-old Talwar, who had gone to the court to file a petition demanding a fresh probe by the CBI in the Aarushi-Hemraj murder case, was rushed to a hospital by his lawyers where he got 10-12 stitches, eyewitnesses said.

Utsav Sharma, hailing from Varanasi, attacked Talwar when he was standing next to a photocopying shop after he came out of the court after filing his plea.

A special CBI court in Ghaziabad on Tuesday is expected to deliver its verdict on whether or not the Aarushi Talwar double murder case be reopened for further probe.

The investigating agency, CBI, had on Dec 29 last year, filed its closure report seeking to close the case, but importantly, also claimed that Aarushi’s father Rajesh Talwar was a “suspected accused” in the case but no chargesheet was filed against him due to lack of sufficient evidence.

On Jan 22, the court had rejected a plea by slain Aarushi Talwar’s parents seeking a copy of all documents pertaining to the CBI’s investigations into the murder case. The CBI had strongly opposed the handing over of documents to them citing its concerns about her father’s role in the entire case.

RK Saini, CBI’s lawyer, requested the court not to allow Rajesh Talwar, a dentist, to get the documents, including the statements of 150 witnesses.

He also said Talwar “is not away from being the main suspect” in the case. The Uttar Pradesh police had already arrested him and the court had sent him to judicial custody. But the CBI, in the absence of a clear cut motive and incomplete understanding of the sequence of events and non-recovery of the weapon of offense, had submitted a closure report.

To this, Talwar’s lawyer Satish Tamta argued that if he was a suspected accused, then why was no chargesheet filed against him and sought that the case be reopened.

Aarushi, 14, was found murdered under mysterious circumstances in her parents' Jalvayu Vihar apartment in Noida, May 16, 2008. Their domestic help Hemraj's body was found on the flat's terrace a day later.