New Delhi: Reliance Power on Monday started production from the two coal mines which are among the 58 blocks being considered by an official panel for de-allocation for delay in production.
The two coal blocks - Moher and Moher-Amlohri – were allocated to Reliance Power for its 4,000 MW Sasan Ultra Mega Power Project (UMPP) in Madhya Pradesh in 2007.
"We will be able to get 20 million tonnes per annum from these mines as a result of our efforts to optimise coal production by deploying latest and advanced mining technologies," Anil Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Power said in a statement.
Reliance Power CEO J P Chalasani said the company has "duly complied with all the statutory requirements" of various government bodies. Investment in these coal mines will be around Rs 5,000 crore, he added.
Earlier in a conference call, Chalasani said, "We are targeting to reach the full 20 MTPA capacity in four years' time".
The first 660 MW unit of Sasan UMPP is expected to be commissioned towards the end of this year, he said.
The equipment, for the 4,000 MW capacity project is being sourced from global leaders. "The equipment is financed by global institutions, including the US EXIM Bank," he said.
The Inter-Ministerial Group (IMG) under the Chairmanship of Additional Secretary Coal is reviewing the status of 58 coal blocks, which both public and private firms failed to develop them within stipulated time frame.
The government has already issued de-allocation notices to 33 government firms and 25 private companies which failed to develop the same allotted for captive use in the given time-frame.


Latest News  from Business News Desk