Seoul: The animosity between South and North Korea is likely to get worsen as a senior security aide to South Korean President Lee Myung-bak pressed North Korea on Tuesday to make a ‘heartfelt apology’ for its two deadly military attacks last year. It also renewed Seoul's demand for a prerequisite to resumption of any inter-Korean exchanges.

The reason behind this arising tension has its root in year 2010, following the North's deadly sinking of a South Korean warship and the bombardment of a southern island.

Military talks intended to ease tensions between the two Koreas broke down last month after the North's representatives refused to accept the South's demand that Pyongyang apologise and take responsible measures for its attacks.
   
The deputy national security adviser, Kim Tae-hyo said, "A heartfelt apology (by North Korea) over the two provocations last year could become a starting point to opening new South-North relations.”
   
North Korea's apology for the attacks and its promise not to repeat such provocations are among the three key conditions that Seoul says Pyongyang must fulfill before the two sides can improve relations. A third demand has been that the North should demonstrate its de-nuclearisation commitment through action.
   
"From the humanitarian point of view, the government is pushing for aid for children and the vulnerable in North Korea," Kim said, describing the push as "smart aid."

Tensions in the Korean Peninsula remain high after the Cheonan warship sank last March killing 46 sailors.

In November, the North shelled a South Korean border island in the Yellow Sea, killing four people, including two civilians.

In a different note, Kim said his government is Planning to offer humanitarian aid to help children and underprivileged people in North Korea.

(Agencies)