Seoul, Jan 28 (Jagran News Network): South Korea has rejected a North Korean proposal for parliamentary discussions on ground of “lacked sincerity”, insisting on the military talks it agreed to last week, reported BBC on Friday.

However, South Korean media report suggests the South has dropped its demand for an apology from the North as its nuclear programme were separate from the "provocations" that require an apology.

South Korea had demanded an apology from the North for last year's attacks on a Southern warship and island before nuclear talks could restart.

Meanwhile, North Korea's Democratic Front for the Reunification of the Fatherland called for the South to discard "useless misgivings and prejudice".

The Democratic Front said legislators from both sides of the border should talk about how "to settle the grave situation prevailing between the North and the South".

"We are presently discussing opening military talks and have proposed separate talks to confirm the North's willingness to denuclearise," said unification ministry spokesman Chun Hae-sung.

"It is our verdict that the North's continuing this kind of offensive under such circumstances is not behaviour that shows sincerity."

The South agreed to the high-level military discussions with the North after months of tension on the peninsula and has proposed a preliminary meeting on February 11.

The South's media quoted a senior government source as saying that the South had effectively dropped its demand for an apology from the North for the sinking of the Cheonan warship last March that killed 46 sailors and the shelling of Yeonpyeong Island in November.

"Although the Cheonan sinking and the Yeonpyeong island shelling are both issues close to our hearts, denuclearisation is a much more important issue at hand here," the anonymous source said.

Pyongyang disagrees torpedoing the Cheonan and says it was provoked into shelling Yeonpyeong.