Appearing for Sahara chief in the Supreme Court, Ram Jethmalani told a bench headed by Justice KS Radhakrishnan that Roy, 65, is in police custody.

Jethmalani also pleaded to the court for recalling of NBW issued by it on February 26.

He submitted that the special bench, comprising Justices Radhakrishnan and JS Khehar, which heard the case be assembled on Friday to hear his application.

Justice Radhakrishnan, who sat with Justice Vikramajit Sen, however, said that it is not possible for the special bench to assemble on Friday.


Developments in Sahara-Sebi case

Feb 22: Saharasri met counsels Ram Jethmalani and Aryama Sundaram and decided to join the proceedings in Supreme Court on February 26 along with other three Directors

Feb 24: In the evening, Saharasri was informed that the health condition of his mother Chabbi Roy, 92, decorated and subsequently shifted at Sahara Hospital in Lucknow.

Saharasri suddenly rushed to Lucknow to attend his ailing mother. He decided to stay back in Lucknow to ensure proper support and care for his mother.

Feb 25: He moved an application to the Supreme Court seeking an exemption from the hearing for that particular day. Remaining three Directors were to attend the proceedings. The Apex Court refused to grant him relief.

Feb 26: Counsel Ram Jethmalani informed the court about Saharasri’s inability to attend the hearing. The court passed an order to serve non-bailable warrant in the name of Saharasri. It also directed concerned authorities to ensure the presence of Saharasri on the next date of hearing i.e. on March 4.

Feb 27: Sahara files a special application seeking the recall of the non-bailable warrant issued with an undertaking of Saharasri to be present on March 4.

Feb 28: In morning, Saharasri decided to surrender himself before the Lucknow Police.

Subrata Roy cooperating with police: Son

Subrata Roy’s son Seemanto said his father "willfully submitted" before the Lucknow police and was cooperating with the authorities.

At a hurriedly called press conference in the national capital on Friday morning, Seemanto Roy said Sahara chief was very attached to his mother and her condition continues to remain fragile.

He said that Subrata Roy was hoping for a short relief from the Supreme Court, but he decided to willfully submit before the police in morning after the "agony" he suffered from reports about him being absconding.

Earlier in the morning, there were speculations that Subrata Roy himself could be present at the press conference and these talks gained further ground after a Delhi Police team reached the venue.

Minutes before the press conference started, Sahara group lawyers informed the Supreme Court that Subrata Roy has been taken into custody by the Lucknow Police. The court also rejected a petition for recall of non-bailable warrant issued for arrest of Roy.

Addressing the conference, Seemanto Roy said he wanted to clear various misconceptions about the whole episode and put forward "certain facts for benefit of everyone, including employees, all stakeholders and public at large".

Seemanto said that Sahara chief had come to Delhi on February 24 to appear before the Supreme Court on February 26.

"He is very attached to his mother and had to go back to Lucknow due to her illness. He had only sought exemption only for a day from personal appearance before the Supreme Court. But he was not granted a short relief," Seemanto said.

"The condition of mother continues to remain fragile and he was hoping for a relief from Supreme Court," he said while trying to explain the delay in his submission before police.

Earlier in the morning before his arrest, Subrata Roy himself issued a signed statement from Lucknow, claiming he was not absconding and was ready to obey any Supreme Court direction "unconditionally". He had, however, appealed the court to allow him to live with his "ailing mother" in house arrest till March 3.

The court has asked the police to present him before it on March 4. Seemanto, who along with his brother Sushanto holds key positions in the group, also said that arrest of his father would not impact the business empire.

"Since he is the father of over 12 lakh people, I have so many brothers and sisters... It won't impact anything," he said.

While leaving for airport, Seemanto told reporters that his father was "not at all" evading arrest and had gone out to consult doctors and lawyers when the police had gone to his home on Thursday to execute non-bailable warrant.

"This has been interpreted by the media and everyone that he has evaded arrest. That is not the fact," he said when asked whether Sahara chief was trying to evade the arrest.

"It is a very delicate relationship between a son and a mother. She is 92 and is really sick. We expect the court to understand that... Sahara Shri is a law abiding citizen. We have faith in law and let’s see what happens," he said.


Latest News from India News Desk