Reports emerged earlier this week that the 29-year-old had asked for a chartered plane and a make-up kit worth Rs 75,000 to attend the function on Saturday which was postponed to Tuesday.

Sania responded to the controversy through her managing agency KWAN."We had been directly dealing with the concerned persons in order to facilitate Sania Mirza's visit for the event in which she was very keen to participate. It was to take place in Bhopal on November 28 and we are well acquainted with the negotiations that were under way," KWAN Chief Operating Officer (COO) Indranil Blah said in a statement.

The statement refuted the claims she asked for 'Rs 5 lakh' to attend the function but admitted the star did demand a private jet.

"There was never any demand for an amount of Rs 5 lakh on this occasion made by the agency, as suggested by the media reports," said Blah.

"As Sania Mirza was already committed to participate in an event in Goa on November 29, and since the commercial flights were taking her seven hours to fly from Bhopal to Goa, it was practically impossible for her to be physically present for both these events unless she was accorded the facility of a private jet for flying from Bhopal to Goa” Blah added.

"Hence, the request for a private jet had to be made for just the outgoing flight from Bhopal to ensure that Sania Mirza could honour her commitment in Goa - a commitment that had been made more than a month ago," Blah cited.

The World No.1 women's doubles player is currently in Kobe, Japan, playing in the International Premier Tennis League (IPTL).

 

Latest News from Sports News Desk