New Delhi: Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, who is presently lodged at Yerawada jail for his association with the 1993 Bombay bomb blasts case, has been granted a 14-day parole on medical grounds.

Dutt left the prison at around 9.30 AM after his pending application for "furlough" was sanctioned by the authorities, jail superintendent Yogesh Desai said.
    
Good conduct is one of the criteria for granting furlough, which is sanctioned from prisoner's accumulated leave, Desai said.
    
This comes days after a cultural programme, organized by prison administration to raise a welfare fund in which the Bollywood actor was to take part, was postponed. The prison authorities postponed the show, earlier slated for September 26, citing security reasons.

53-year old Sanjay Dutt was convicted by a TADA court for illegally possessing weapons which were brought to India to carry out the 1993 attacks. The attack had claimed more than 257 lives and left over 700 injured.

Earlier, the Supreme Court in March had upheld Sanjay Dutt’s conviction under Arms Act and reduced his jail term from six years to five, out of which, the Bollywood actor had already spent 1.5 years in jail earlier.

JPN/Agencies

Latest News from India News Desk