Srinagar, Jan 26 (Agencies): To ensure safety and peace during Republic Day celebrations, stringent, unprecedented security measures were taken across Srinagar city, including BJP's professed flag-hoisting venue Lal Chowk and parade ground Bakshi stadium.

Smarting from the shoe-throwing incident on the Independence Day, the security grid had installed a video camera at the main entrance of the stadium to keep a record of all the attendees to the function.

All the invited persons were subjected to four body frisks before entering the main stadium complex to ensure that the incident was not repeated.

A suspended policeman had thrown a shoe at Chief Minister Omar Abdullah during the parade here on August 15.

The Clock Tower at Lal Chowk turned into a virtual fortress with hundreds of policemen and CRPF troops guarding routes leading to it and preventing any civilain movement in the area.

Even though authorities did not declare any curfew in the city, akin restrictions were imposed in most parts of the summer capital to scuttle any efforts by the BJP cadres and seperatist group JKLF to hoist any flag at the spot.

Police had laid concertina wires on all the roads leading to Lal Chowk and even prevented media persons from approaching the area.

For the first time since eruption of militancy in the state, the security of the Clock Tower and its surrounding areas was handed over to Special Operations Group (SOG) of local police instead of CRPF, which has been manning the area since 2003 after taking over from BSF.

Only police and CRPF vehicles, which had been issued special passes, were allowed to travel in the area.

The restrictions were also severe because separatist group JKLF, which has a stronghold in neighbouring Maisuma locality, had called for a counter-march to Lal Chowk and vowed to hoist its own flag there.

BJP's plans to hoist flag at the culmination of the Ekta Yatra, which was allowed to enter into Jammu and Kashmir, comes after 19 years when Murli Manohar Joshi and Narendra Modi unfurled the flag at Lal Chowk amidst tight security.

Severe restrictions on the movement of the people were also imposed in other parts of the valley.