New Delhi: The United Nations Climate Change Conference is the 21st session of the Conference of Parties (COP). World leaders have come together to discuss major climate change issues and carbon emission cuts in their respective countries. It has come across a platform for leaders to initiate projects related to renewable and sustainable forms of energy.
Here are six key developments in the United Nations Climate Change Conference:
- The leaders of nations have pledged to reduce their national carbon output through different measures at different rates.
- PM Modi joined the leaders of 19 other countries including US and China for 'Mission Innovation', under which, the governments are committed to double public investment in basic energy research over the next five years.
- 28 of the world's wealthiest investors like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg of US, Jack Ma of China and India's Mukesh Ambani joined the energy coalition to pool money for the initiative.
- 183 nations have submitted national action plans to achieve a goal of limiting global warming to two degrees Celsius.
- 181 nations announced pledges to combat man-made carbon dioxide pollution at the C0P summit.
- PM Modi along with 190 odd world leaders launched an alliance to harness solar energy.
- At least 19 governments and 28 leading world investors announced billions of dollars in investments to research and develop clean energy technology with the goal of making it cheaper.
Latest News from India News Desk