New Delhi: The sealing drive of illegal mobile towers in Delhi began on Saturday following Telecom Department’s notice to 81 cell phone towers in the city. So far, eight towers have been sealed by the authorities concerned.
According to reports, the national capital has about 140 illegal mobile towers which are likely to be sealed by the Telecom Department.
Mobile subscribers in the city may face a tough time after the authorities initiated the move to seal the towers.
The Telecom Department has said the mobile phone towers should not be installed on residential buildings and at public places as recommended by the report of an inter-ministerial committee headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The report had stated that due to radiation from the mobile towers, people are being affected with diseases like cancer and other problems. Radiation from mobile phone towers causes glioma, a type of brain cancer, as reported by the committee before the World Health Organisation (WHO).
Earlier on Wednesday, The Central Government told the Delhi High Court the guidelines have been framed for issuing licences for installation of mobile phone towers and an expert committee is examining if any violation has been committed by service providers. In an affidavit to the bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw, the government said before installation of towers the telecom service providers are required to obtain necessary permission from local bodies, which are required to ensure compliance of various conditions for allowing them to install towers.