However, the impact of the UGC order on the admission process of other DU-affiliated colleges that are expected to come out with their cut-off lists on Tuesday was still not known as they are awaiting the decision of the DU authorities. (Agencies)
St Stephen's, which began its admission process last week with the announcement of its first cut-off list, issued a statement saying that it will continue with its selection process of students but would not admit them until a clear picture was given out.
"In view of the reported UGC directive to the University of Delhi regarding its undergraduate programmes, St. Stephen's College, while continuing with the ongoing selection process, including the publication of provisional lists of selected and wait-listed candidates for various courses, shall defer final admissions till a decision is taken on the matter by the competent authority," a statement, quoting the college's Principal Valson Thampu, said.
"The admission list being put up now is, hence, provisional. The final admission to all courses, including payment of fees, is deferred till a decision on the matter is taken by the University/the UGC," the statement further cited.
The statement stated that the college will admit students only to duly approved courses. The selection interviews as well as sports trials will continue as per the schedule already announced.
"Candidates, if affected by any delay in the University/UGC taking a final decision in respect to the FYUP, shall be granted three working days for depositing their fees from the time a notice making the final admission offer is put up on the college notice board and website," it said.
St Stephen's, a minority institution, carries out its own admission process but follows the course structure as prescribed by the university.
With admission to undergraduate programmes for other colleges beginning on Tuesday, DU officials kept mum on whether the announcement of cut-off lists will be delayed or not.
"The UGC order has come on a Sunday and therefore, there has been no decision taken by the University. Once the DU administration takes a call on the matter, all colleges affiliated to the university will act uniformly," Miranda House College's principal Pratibha Jolly said.
UGC asked Delhi University and its colleges to admit students only under the three-year programme from the new academic session and not under four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP) implemented by it last year, a move hailed by both teachers' and students' bodies.
The FYUP, introduced last year, has drawn flak from both students and teachers but the Delhi University has held that it will not be scrapped.
However, the impact of the UGC order on the admission process of other DU-affiliated colleges that are expected to come out with their cut-off lists on Tuesday was still not known as they are awaiting the decision of the DU authorities.