Greek and Italian authorities were still unable to say with any certainty how many paying passengers were on board the Norman Atlantic when it burst into flames in stormy seas near the island of Corfu on Sunday.

And Giuseppe Volpe, the prosecutor in charge of a criminal probe into the disaster, said "it is likely that we will find other victims in the wreckage" after illegal migrants were also found among the survivors.

Three have so far been identified, two Afghans and a Syrian, who have requested political asylum but more are expected to have hidden inside trucks parked on the deck where the fire started. There were also fears some passengers may have suffocated or been burnt to death in their cabins.

The Italian coastguard confirmed the body of an 11th dead passenger had been recovered yesterday. The disaster also claimed the lives of two Albanian seamen, who died from injuries caused when a cable linking their tugboat to the ferry snapped.
Nearly 40 passengers listed as having been on the Italian-owned ferry were still unaccounted for after a mammoth 34-hour rescue operation, but it was unclear whether this was because they were dead or down to errors in the ship's manifest.
Greek survivor Urania Thireou offered a possible explanation. "At the start, there were people who got into the biggest lifeboat. They got it into the water but we were told afterwards that they were not rescued," she told media at a hotel in the Italian port city of Brindisi.
International rescue efforts were scaled down on Tuesday despite the uncertainty, with the Italian navy's San Giorgio amphibious landing vessel returning to port in the early evening with around 200 survivors on board.

The Norman Atlantic, empty of passengers after its captain was last to leave the vessel, will now be towed to the Italian port of Brindisi, around 75 kilometres (40 miles) from where it caught fire.

Latest News from World News Desk