#terremoto #Amandola #Marche pic.twitter.com/d5b2PDSpUy

"There are still so many people under masonry, so many missing," said Immacolata Postiglione, the head of the unit's emergency department. She had earlier announced a toll of 37 but subsequently corrected her statement.

— nazzareno Di matteo (@DNAZZARENO) August 24, 2016

No Indian casualty in Italy earthquake

There has been no Indian casualty in the magnitude 6.2 earthquake that rocked Italy, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said citing the Indian embassy in Rome.

"Massive earthquake of 6.2 magnitude has struck Italy. @IndiainItaly has informed me that there is no report of any Indian casualty," Sushma Swaraj tweeted.

Multiple Aftershocks Spread Panic Among Residents Of Rome:

Italy's Civil Protection agency described the earthquake as "severe". Rescue teams were being sent to the worst-hit areas, the Prime Minister's office said. The US Geological Survey reported the intensity to be magnitude 6.4.The deputy editor of the British newspaper, The Times, who was in the area at the time, told the BBC that the quake lasted about 20 seconds followed by an aftershock about 20 minutes later which was easily as strong.Norcia Mayor Nicola Alemanno said no deaths have been reported in the town.

Many historic buildings and heritages are located there."The anti-seismic structures of the town have held," he said. "There is damage to the historic heritage and buildings but we do not have any serious injuries."

 Latest News from World News Desk