New Delhi: Irked by Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi’s reply to the Election Commission on Salman Khurshid Muslim sub-quota remark, the election body may announce its decision on the row on Saturday, sources reported.

Appearing on behalf of the Law Minister, leading counsel Abhishek Manu Singhvi told the Commission that Khurshid had not referred to any particular minority community and had only restated a pre-declared government policy.

In an hour long meeting with the EC, Singhvi asserted that the declaration of similar kind had been made in the Congress manifestos in 2002 and 2007 Uttar Pradesh elections and in 2009 during the general elections.

But sources claimed that Singhvi’s reply failed to satisfy the EC.

Singhvi holding Khurshid innocent sought the EC to withdraw the notice issued against him.

The Election Commission had issued a show cause notice to Khurshid following his declaration that his party would provide nine percent reservation to minorities from the existing 27 percent reservation meant for OBCs if it returns to power in Uttar Pradesh. He had made the remarks while campaigning for his wife Louise Khurshid in Farrukhabad.
   
"Khurshid was not speaking in any manner as a Union Minister. Instead he was just speaking as a Congressman," Singhvi asserted.

Meanwhile, sources said that the election body is not satisfied by the explanation of Singhvi and the Law Minister is likely to face strict action for the model code violation soon.

(JPN/ Bureau)