New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a petition seeking shifting of Delhi gang rape trial to a place outside Delhi. The petition was moved by a lawyer ML Sharma saying that fair trial was not possible in Delhi seeing the public mood against the rape accused.

The Apex Court dismissed the petition after going through the report submitted by Additional District Judge (ADJ) in this regard. ADJ Mukesh Singh said in his report that Advocate ML Sharma is not a defence lawyer in Delhi gang rape case.

A bench headed by Chief Justice Altamas Kabir rejected a transfer petition which was claimed to have been filed on behalf of one of the six accused in the case.
The bench passed the order after going through the report filed by the sessions court in which it was said that advocate ML Sharma, who appeared before it on the transfer plea issue, had been given no authority by the accused to argue on his behalf.
"Your authority to appear in this matter has been totally denied by the accused," the bench said after going through the report.
Sharma then pleaded that he should be heard as an independent person in the case.
The bench, however, refused to allow him to argue in the case, saying, "We are unable to accept Sharma's submissions in the facts and circumstances of the case."
The controversy in the case arose after two advocates ML Sharma and VK Anand appeared before the Apex Court claiming to represent one of the accused Mukesh when the transfer petition came up for hearing.
The bench had then asked the sessions court, which is holding the trial in the case, to talk to Mukesh to find out who is his real counsel and whether he wanted to pursue the case for transfer of trial to a place outside Delhi.
The sessions court, after talking to the accused, filed a report in a sealed cover before the bench.
Mukesh is among the accused in the gruesome gang rape case of a 23-year-old paramedical student. She was gang-raped and brutally assaulted by six persons in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16 last and then dumped on the road. She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.


Latest News from India News Desk