New Delhi: The CBI on Saturday accused sacked Commonwealth Games organising committee (OC) chief Suresh Kalmadi of adopting "delaying tactics" in the trial court proceedings against him in connection with the CWG scam.

In a reply filed before Special Judge Talwant Singh, CBI told the court that Kalmadi's application seeking clarification on the probe to unearth a larger conspiracy to identify the money trail and additional facts was devoid of any merit.

"It is respectfully prayed that the application, being devoid of any merit and being nothing but a delaying tactic, may be dismissed and separation of trial may be ordered in the interest of justice so that the trial of other accused could be conducted expeditiously without any further undue and unwarranted delay," the CBI said in its reply.

The agency said it has "repeatedly" stated in the court that the investigation regarding the accused named in the charge sheet was complete but despite that applications are being filed by the accused to delay the proceedings.

"That a number of times, repeatedly it has been stated in the court that qua the accused mentioned in the charge sheet, the investigation is complete and there is sufficient evidence
against the charge sheeted accused persons for the offences mentioned therein," the agency said.

The agency also contended that proceedings against Swiss firm, Swiss Timing Ltd, can be held separately for expeditious trial of other accused in the case. CBI said Kalmadi had moved the application with the "sole motive" of delaying the proceedings so that he could seek bail on the ground of delay in the trial.

The agency, in its reply, said the accused had misused and abused their official positions "to wrongly and unduly favour accused Swiss Timing Ltd, thereby causing huge loss of government money."

The agency filed its reply as the court had earlier asked it to respond to Kalmadi's plea to clarify if the agency's probe into the TSR scam, is complete or not.

The court has now listed the matter for further hearing on November 3 and extended till then the judicial custody of Kalmadi, and other accused including former OC secretary general Lalit Bhanot, former Director General of OC V K Verma and OC officials M Jaychandran, Surjit Lal and A S V Prasad.

(Agencies)