"Yes, it is true that my services have been terminated. This was expected. They have been conducting a completely ex-parte inquiry. I got the letter (sack order) from them (the Home ministry)," Bhatt said last evening.
Gujarat Chief Secretary G R Aloria confirmed the development. "Services of Sanjiv Bhatt have been terminated," he said.
Bhatt has been under suspension since 2011 after he took on the then Modi government over the 2002 Gujarat riots on charges of remaining absent from duty without permission and misuse of official vehicles. At the time, he was posted in Junagadh.

A 1988-batch IPS officer, Bhatt had filed an affidavit before the Supreme Court, claiming that he had attended a meeting at Modi's residence in Gandhinagar on February 27, 2002, during which the Chief Minister had instructed the top police officers to allow the Hindus "to vent out their anger" after the train-burning incident at Godhra earlier that month.

However, his claim was rejected by the Apex Court appointed Special Investigation Team, which probe nine major incidents related to the post-Godhra riots.
Bhatt said he was sacked on the basis of 'a sham inquiry' with regard to his 'unauthorised absence' from service when he had come to Ahmedabad to depose before the SIT probing the 2002 riots.

"In fact, I have enjoyed every moment of the last 27 years in the IPS. The Government of the day has decided to remove me from service after conduction a sham, ex-parte inquiry on completely fabricated charges of 'unauthorised absence from duty'," he said in a Facebook post.

Latest News from India News Desk