Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh's Secondary Education Director Sanjay Mohan has been arrested for allegedly taking money from candidates who appeared for Teachers Eligibility Test held last November.

After his arrest last evening, the Director has been placed under suspension by the state government, an official said here on Wednesday.

The Director was arrested from his official residence in Nishatganj area and Rs 4.86 lakh were recovered from him, UP Additional Director General of Police Subesh Kumar Singh said.

Documents relating to TET of a number of candidates were also recovered from the house, he told reporters here.

Those involved in the racket allegedly used to charge between Rs two lakh and Rs five lakh from candidates to get their names included in the merit list, the ADGP said.

The Director was taken to Ramabai Nagar (Kanpur Dehat) for interrogation, SP (Ramabai Nagar) Subhash Dubey said by telephone.

The arrest was made after Mohan's name surfaced during investigations into the alleged scam in TET held last November, he said.

Five persons were arrested in connection with the alleged scam on December 31 and Rs 87 lakh recovered from them.

Later, six more were arrested in January and over Rs 96 lakh recovered from them, the ADGP said.

The state government had conducted the TET examination on November 13 last year in which over 11.53 lakh candidates took part and its result was declared on November 26.

Some candidates also filed petitions in the Allahabad High Court relating to some questions in the TET paper.

Six questions were removed, re-evaluation was done and the modified result declared on December 23, 2011.