On Saturday, 16 Palestinians died in a wave of Israeli air strikes as Operation Protective Edge entered its fifth day, taking the overall death toll to 121. Israel says it hit more than "60 terror targets" in new raids and two rockets hit Beersheba in Israel.
    
The Israeli military says it is targeting militants and militant facilities, including the homes of senior operatives. It says "dozens of terrorists" are among those killed. There is no sign of both sides agreeing on a ceasefire, despite intense diplomacy at the United Nations.
    
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Saturday that his country will resist foreign pressure to halt its operations. "The objective is to restore quiet to the cities of Israel, and I intend to achieve this objective," he said, according to the BBC.
    
In a strike on Beit Lahiya overnight, Israel hit a building used by a charitable association for people with disabilities, Palestinian official said.
    
Two teenage female residents and three others, including an Islamic Jihad activist, were killed when a house in Jabaliya refugee camp was hit, the Palestinian Health Ministry said.
    
A mosque in the central Gaza Strip was also bombed overnight. A Hamas spokesman reportedly said a pair of mosques was struck in the first attack of its kind since Israel began its offensive.
    
The Palestinian Health Ministry says in addition to those killed, 750 people - mainly civilians - have been injured in Israel's Operation Protective Edge since it began on Tuesday.
  

 
Israel said on Saturday that it has carried out 1,160 strikes since the start of its offensive, and says Hamas fired 689 rockets in the first four days. The rockets have caused damage and some injuries in Israel but there have been no Israeli fatalities so far.

Not to bow under international pressures: Netanyahu

   
Vowing not to bow under international pressures, Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said that Israel "will act with all power" in its offensive to stop rocket attacks on its land from the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.
    
Netanyahu's statement comes even as US President Barack Obama called the Israeli Prime Minister on Friday and offered to broker a ceasefire with Hamas, saying there was a risk of further escalation of the crisis.
   
Obama in a telephonic conversation with Netanyahu had re-affirmed Washington's support for Israel's right to self-defence while offering to help mediate a ceasefire with Gaza-based militants.
       
Arab Foreign Ministers to meet on Monday


Arab Foreign Ministers are to meet in Cairo on Monday to discuss the escalating conflict between Hamas militants in Gaza and Israel which has already killed more than 120 Palestinians, a diplomat said.
    
Kuwait, which holds the rotating leadership of the Arab League headquartered in the Egyptian capital, had demanded the "urgent" meeting, the diplomat said.
    
There has been no coordinated Arab response to the conflict which erupted on Tuesday when Israel launched waves of air strikes against Gaza aimed at halting rocket fire across the border.
    
Egypt, the traditional broker in Israeli-Hamas conflicts, said on its efforts to halt violence in the Gaza Strip had met with "stubbornness".
    
Britain 'extremely concerned' by Gaza deaths

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said he was "extremely concerned" about the loss of life in Gaza, where five days of Israeli air strikes have killed hundreds of Palestinians.

Hague's statement represents a departure from the British government stance so far which has unequivocally backed Israel's right to launch air strikes in response to rocket attacks by Hamas militants based in Gaza.

British Prime Minister David Cameron on Wednesday spoke to Israeli President Benjamin Netanyahu to show "staunch support" and "underlined Israel's right to defend itself from them", his Downing Street office said.

JPN/Agencies

Latest News from World News Desk